Monday, November 3, 2008

Nine Days Later...

Hey everyone! I just returned from my journey to the south and I definitely want to write about it! I have too many good pictures to post only a couple, so if you want to see my pictures, you should check out my albums on Facebook at

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2384808&l=3d482&id=10048141

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2384917&l=10778&id=10048141

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2384994&l=398c7&id=10048141

(PS You don’t have to be a Facebook user to look at these—they are open to the public).

So basically, I will just write a couple highlights of the trip because describing the entire thing would take hours. Lots of them have pictures to go with them, so make sure you check out the albums.

1.  I went to a “clinica” while I was in Valdivia (for the second time during my study abroad experience), and I was, once again, amazed by Chilean medicine. To meet with a doctor, have him diagnose me with bronchitis, and get three different prescriptions (antibiotics, cough syrup, and an inhaler), I waited about 20 minutes and paid about $35 total (without any insurance). AMAZING. 

2. The scenery in the region of Chile I went to is absolutely gorgeous. It is called the Lakes District for a reason, considering we were passing lakes left and right. We also saw tons of crystal clear rivers, huge waterfalls, and towering, snow-capped volcanoes.

3. We saw lots of rural Chile, including many indigenous villages of Mapuche and Huilliche people. We drove on more dirt roads than I can count and bottomed out the Revolution (the name of our tiny Chevy that was full to the brim with people, clothes, food, and camping stuff) one too many times.  But in the process we saw llamas!

4. We swam in a freezing cold lake in front of snowy mountains, and we saw  other lakes that were unnaturally blue.

5. We hiked up part of a volcano, which definitely looked like the moon.

6. We took a ferry to ChiloĆ©! And saw penguins! And palafitos (aka houses on stilts)!

7. We went to termas (hot springs) in the middle of the night on Halloween night.

That’s pretty much it. Obviously I have a lot of other fond memories, but it is hard to describe them in words. Just check out the pictures and you will get a pretty good feel for what I experienced.

Hugs from Chile! Hope all is well back home.

Ammy 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Am! It's Mary. Wow, what great photos! You're good with taking them, and getting them taken of you, too. We love seeing them all, and hearing about your adventures. How far away was this trip? Are you ready to come home next month?