Monday, August 1, 2011

Some thoughts from the trip...

6/30/110 - "We just crossed through a bunch of clouds and wow. They just sit there, suspended in the air. Not up or down. Just there. They change and move and rotatte, but all the while so graceful. So peaceful. Makes me feel like I'm in love."

7/4/11 - "Happy 4th of July! Apparently today is a holiday in Colombia, too. Though no one knows why. Still sitting at the beach, listening to the waves, about to put on my swimsuit and go for a swim. Reminds me of an early morning at the lake, when you wake up earlier than everyone else and you can just enjoy the peace and quite alone."

7/7/11 - "It hurts sometimes to be different. And I know everyone is different. I know we share the same world, the same sun, the same water, the same land. We are balanced by nature, but sometimes things seem so out of balance."

7/18/11 - "Hot! Everything is moving very slowly on this boat. The situation is comical. Veron keeps saying 'my brain doesn't work.' So many hammocks. So many people. Life has changed a lot since this morning. And by changed, I simply mean slowed down. We got on the boat at 9:30am. It is 6pm and we are still on the boat at the port waiting to leave....I saw a dolphin in the river, and a crocodile with its head cut off. And on our boat there is a cow pen that they built with cane sugar branches under the cows and fences they tied together with rope."

7/19/11 - "Now it's morning and we are going down the Amazon in the Eduardo VI. It's cloudy but the sun is just starting to peek through. It's rainy - the drops are all over the river. And I hear the engine grumbling under me. Breakfast."

7/19/11 afternoon - "The jungle changes you. It does. You can't feel like this anywhere else. I just saw one of the most amazing sunsets of my life. I stood up on the top rung of the railing, held onto the roof of the boat. I could see all the way across the sky - to my left a double rainbow and to my right the waters of the Amazon, going two directions, river people getting on and off boats, bathing, swimming at dusk."

7/27/11 - "Things I learned: 1) Don't wear glasses on busses. When you fall asleep, someone may take them. 2) I am not the same person I was a year ago. I grew and changed and have a new home. 3) Visiting is not the same as living. 4) Be strong and plan challenges for yourself. Relaxing is fun but challenges are better. 5) Definitely definitely definitely bring your party shoes. 6) Live in the moment. You will never be there again."

This summer has been fun, challenging, relaxing, difficult, eye-opening. Above all, I feel ready to head back to DC for another amazing year!

-AM

No comments: