After marching on Washington on Saturday, I asked myself two
questions: 1) “What did I learn?” and 2) “What am I going to do next?”
I learned this: It is scary and hard to stand up for the things
I believe in. I carried a sign that read “Fight Transmisogyny,” and I will tell
you that I was scared. I was scared when a man in a “Make America Great Again”
hat asked me what that word meant before the march started. I was scared when I
had to explain my sign (and my identity) to people I was marching next to. I
was scared when in a crowd of 500,000 people, I only saw one other sign with
the word ‘trans’ on it.
But honestly, this is not a moment for me to be scared. I am
white, able-bodied, and masculine-presenting – all sources of extreme
privilege. For one, I was able to march with people who, in many accounts, looked
like me. Additionally, I was able to march without a physical disability that could
make walking or standing for long periods of time a challenge. And finally, I was
able to march as someone who is seen as a man by most. Which means, even at a
women’s march, people listened to me.
I cannot be scared. There have been too many transpeople
before me who have done this hard work, and I must continue to fight on their behalf. There was Marsha P. Johnson, a black drag queen and transgender woman,
who led the protests at Stonewall. There was Sylvia Rivera, a trans woman of
color who, with the help of Marsha P. Johnson, founded STAR: Street
Transvestite Action Revolutionaries, which fought for the inclusion of
transpeople. There was Leslie Feinburg, writer and transgender activist, who organized a march against racism in
Boston after white supremacists had attacked blacks there.
Additionally, there are many transwomen still fighting for
our right to exist, including Lourdes Ashley Hunter, co-founder
of the Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC), who said, “Every
breath a black trans woman takes is an act of revolution.” And there is Janet
Mock, multi-racial writer and trans activist who commented at the Women’s March
that “our approach to freedom need
not be identical, but it must intersectional and inclusive.”
Like these revolutionaries, I plan to fight for the rights
of transpeople across the country, especially trans women of color. I refuse to be complacent when I know
that 50% of black transpeople have attempted suicide. I refuse to be
complacent when I know that over
45 anti-trans bills were introduced in state legislatures in 2016. I
refuse to be complacent when Trump erased all mention of LGBT people from the
White House website.
So what am I
going to do?
First, I am
going to educate myself. I was not taught transgender history in school or by
my parents or even from my friends. I learned the little I know at conferences,
trans support groups, and through memoirs like Janet Mock’s Redefining Realness and Jamison Green’s Becoming a Visible Man. But I know there
are so many more books to read. I am going to start with Toni Newman’s memoir I Rise and work my way through this
list, starting with books by transpeople of color.
Second, I am
going to step back and listen. Because I have privilege as I explained above,
sometimes my voice is heard louder than others. I will not let this happen
anymore. When I am in a space with a transwoman or a trans person of color, I
will listen. When I plan events for trans people, I will reach out to
organizations that are intersectional and inclusive.
And third, I am
going to educate others, especially white cisgender people who are silent when transpeople
are harassed or attacked. In the past two weeks alone, I have been harassed three
times. As if the verbal abuse is not enough, no one around me said anything to
quell the violence. For white cisgender people reading this, here are a few
things you can do when you see or hear abuse towards me:
1) Say
something to the aggressor or to me. Anything. One example is, “Let’s go.”
2) Step
up. If you are not in physical danger yourself, move yourself into my place so
that I am able to make an exit.
3) Tell
someone. Whether it is an authority or a friend, please tell someone what you
witnessed and how you helped.
4) Use
my pronouns, even if it makes you uncomfortable. (I use he or they pronouns, by
the way).
5) And
finally, please do not out me. You can do all of these things without saying, “My
friend is trans and you are hurting them.” If I choose to out myself, that is my
decision.
According to
Lourdes Ashley Hunter, “Actively engaging in
erasure is an act of violence.” I’m not going to engage in this. I will educate myself, listen, and educate
others.
I hope you consider joining me.
-Am (he or they pronouns)
1 comment:
Am, I am happy you were able to march in DC! (And a little jealous). I'm bummed there were not more signs with trans messages. I saw quite a few at the Raleigh march(I would be happy to send you pics of the ones I took pictures of). Maybe HB2 has forced that issue to the front in NC. Thank you for letting people know how they can support you in bad situations. I, like many people, am often too stunned when something happens to do something effective. It helps to prepare to react better when people around me need support. Thanks for your post! Kat
Post a Comment