I have now been in Chile for about three weeks, and I have had the opportunity to do so many amazing things! After New Years, Ivey and I went with her family to Ritoque, a very peaceful area about an hour north of Valparaiso that has dunes, beaches, beautiful rock outcroppings next to the water, and nice houses. We spent two relaxing days there, while recovering from the craziness of New Years.
Being in Ritoque for two days was very good for me, as it cleared my mind and allowed me to see the beauty in life, friends, family, and nature. We passed the time exploring on the rocks by the beach, playing with starfish, biking through lagoons and grasses, riding horses, strolling through town, watching the sunset over the beautiful ocean, playing cards, eating amazing food, talking, laughing, resting, and loving. It was an experience I had never before had in Chile—I was with my girlfriend and all her closest friends and family for two days, without phone or internet, enjoying the simple life, relaxing, and having a blast. Thank you Ivey, Tito, Alfredo, Tia Ana, Mauri, David, Victor, and Berto for the wonderful time!
Apart from our trip to Ritoque, Ivey and I caught up with friends, cooked good meals, had dinner parties, went dancing, hung out at the hostel, walked around the hills of Valparaiso, went shopping, ate empanadas, and met new friends. We also took two other day trips, to Con Con (where we climbed around and explored rocks next to the ocean) and Quintay (where we saw the old whalery, now made into a museum, and went to a tranquil beach with sparkling turquoise waters). Both places were amazingly beautiful, and I am very happy that I have been able to see so many new places on this trip!
I feel very lucky that I had the chance to return to Chile with Ivey—I learned a lot from her experiences and perception of the country, which only augmented my own. Unfortunately, she had to leave before I did, so I dropped her off at the airport and decided that I wanted to stay a bit longer before I returned to Peru. My decision pretty much resulted from the fact that a friend of mine offered me a free place to live—there was no way I was going to say no to that! So now I am living alone in a beautiful house in Valpo, getting to know the city better than I have ever known it before. Since I have been alone, I started a sailing class at Muelle Baron (the pier) and went back to Ritoque for another relaxing day with Ivey’s family.
Viva Valparaiso!
Anne Marie
1 comment:
You are living in PARADISE! So cool!! : ) Thanks so much for your postcard; i love it!
That sounds so beautiful being somewhere with no phone, internet... I LOVE cards, and horses, and sunsets; how fun!
Post a Comment