I never really understood traveling until I went to Mexico for a Spanish language immersion program in 2005. On that trip, I felt as if I were injected with new information daily in large doses. My senses were open to the new place—I saw stray dogs roaming the streets, I smelled spray paint from graffiti artists, I touched fruits with soft, yellow spines, I tasted gorditas and chalupas, and I touched the hands and faces of others every time I said hello.
Going to the new place blew me away, and as a result I continued exploring in later years. Since summer 2005, I have been back to Mexico four times, and I have been to Hungary, Romania, Guatemala, Chile, Argentina, and Peru. And at this moment, I do not see any end in sight to my thirst for traveling. I caught the “bug,” and, to my delight, it will not go away.
One of the most important things traveling brings is understanding and appreciation for other cultures. Though this sounds obvious, it is very important to remember. For example, last weekend I had the opportunity to experience Valparaiso’s Carnavales Culturales (Cultural Carnaval). Once again, it was one of those experiences that I would not do justice by describing in words, but take my word for it--it was awesome. Basically, the city throws a three day party where the city is jam packed with porteños (people from Valpo) and extranjeros (foreigners) twenty four hours a day. Streets are closed; there are huge concerts with famous artists, art displays around the city, theater shows throughout the day, parades at night, and lots of confetti. Basically, it was New Years all over again, except this time it lasted three days!
The best part about the entire event was that I spent it with my Chilean friends. So the entire night long while there were street bands performing on every corner, we danced and sang typical Chilean songs (I made up the words as much as I could)
I have never felt more pride in a place in which I lived until I experienced carnavales in Valpo.
The best way to describe it is in the song ¨La Joya del Pacifico¨:
Del cerro Los Placeres yo me pase al Barón
Me vine al cordillera en busca de tu amor
Te fuiste al cerro alegre y yo siempre detrás
Porteña buena moza no me hagas sufrir mas
La plaza de la victoria es un centro social
O avenida Pedro Montt como tu no hay otra igual
Mas yo quisiera cantarte con todito el corazón
Torpedera de mi ensueño Valparaíso de mi amor
Listen here: http://letras.terra.com.br/joe-vasconcellos/427433/
Miss you all!
Anne Marie
1 comment:
Beautifully capivating Anne Marie : )
Post a Comment