1. I have never seen so many bikers that wear helmets. Not sure that bodes well for actually biking in the city, but a good practice nonetheless ;)
2. Driving in the city is like playing Frogger--I am constantly dodging cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, busses, and emergency vehicles while also being bombarded by storms, pot-holed roads, stop signs, and traffic lights. It's a new experience...
3. The area outside of DC is gorgeous. I went hiking the other day and I could not believe that I was only thirty minutes outside of the city.
4. People are nice. I already have a community of wonderful people right inside my building, including my cousin Kat and her husband Adam, a few of their friends, Doug, who seems to run the place, and Jim, the king of the building (a former teacher, who constantly gives me encouragement about teaching). I can't (and won't) leave my building without having at least a five minute conversation with someone. It's wonderful :)
5. It's muggy. Enough said.
6. I see national monuments when I walk down the street.
7. Everyone seems to be a big deal.
8. Art is everywhere.
9. NPR sounds so much better when I know the things they are reporting about are happening just minutes away.
10. The USA Today building is incredible.
11. Everyone is still talking about the Snowpocalypse from last year. (I secretly hope it happens again this year)
I am excited to be in this exciting city, and I can't wait to see what comes of my time here! I worked at my school today for the first day, and I officially have a classroom of my own. Come Monday, I will have 100 7th graders enter my doors...and you can't even imagine how excited I am! It's going to be quite the ride. :)
Take care!
Anne Marie
No comments:
Post a Comment